Sunday, June 24, 2012

Spread your wings & fly

This morning my oldest son asked if he could go into Walgreens for me and get a newspaper so I of course let him. He is 16 after all and I figure it's time to let him spread his wings and fly.
However as he was in there getting the paper it made me think. When exactly is the right time to let go?
All my boys' life I have protected them as much as a mamabear could but I have often wondered if I'm doing them a disservice.
I see so many kids in this neighborhood alone that are out running the streets all hours of the day by themselves as young as 5 & 6 and with all the sex offenders around here I have to wonder why.
Why do so many people let their kids so young do that? Why does the woman behind me who only gets her kids on the weekends let her kids leave 2 minutes after their dad drops them off and not come back until 9-9:30 at night sometimes later?
When does she spend time with them?
Isn't 6 too young to be "spreading your wings"?
Isn't 11 too young to be the mom to a 6 & 8 year old?
Am I way off base here?

I want to allow my boys the freedom to fly but not at the expense of their safety.
Is it so wrong to want to protect your children>
The way I see it God has given them to me on loan and one day I'll be held accountable for how I took care of them. I am not going to let something bad happen to them if I can help it.
So call my crazy but I like to think I am giving my children the freedom to spread their wings and fly but I'm also giving them roots by letting them know they can always count on me to keep them safe.

No comments: