Friday, May 11, 2012

Shopping cart derby

Have you ever been to the store on a Friday morning when it's actually not too busy and you think this will be great only to find out it's not so great. Yep that happened to me this morning. I went to Meijer to pick up our weekly supply of ingredients to make pizza (Friday is pizza night and it's cheaper and healthier to make it) and everything is going along great until I have to start jumping out of the way because apparently I missed the memo that today is the annual shopping cart derby day. People were so rude and hateful. They were jumping in front of others without saying excuse me and leaving their carts in the middle of the aisle and then giving me a dirty look like I am a bad person for having the audacity to breathe THEIR AIR. After all only they can breathe their air and of course anyone they send a written invitation to. Sometimes I wonder what happened to the good ole days when people would bump into you and say sorry or excuse me, the days when they would not leave their carts in the middle of the aisle and give you a dirty look for saying excuse me. What has gotten into people now a days? Even now I can go to the store and get dirty looks not just from adults but from kids as well (as young as 5) and people wonder why kids grow up to rob others or have no sense of brotherly love. It's because we as parents/adults/care givers have said you know what this is my space and you have no right to be in it therefore I would rather take care of myself instead of correcting my child. After all if we punish our kids we end up punishing ourselves. Granted I agree everyone has a personal space that needs not to be invaded but seriously you are going to tell me that the whole store is your space? Even when you are on aisle 2 and others are on aisle 9? Get over yourself. Start smiling at people. Even if you don't feel like smiling that day do it anyway. Like they say give one to get one. It truly does work.

No comments: